PDA

View Full Version : Need help researching my 69 hardtop

Dads69
01-25-2007, 11:03 AM
I have a 1969 Mustang hardtop that was purchased new by my father in late 1968. The car (I believe) is 100% factory stock as I do not remember my father changing it in any way during my childhood. The car is in good shape with just a small rust spot on the driver’s door. The rest of the car just needs to be cleaned up and refinished, and then reassembled. Fortunately for me, the car was stored inside a garage over the years. In fact, the car was last ran in 1985 and it actually started completely on it’s own two months ago when I brought it to my house. All it needed was a fresh battery. Amazing! Anyway, the car has a few parts on it I want to make sure belong on the car. I have checked with Ford and received a report from them with farious details but it doesn’t list any of these. They are…

Mach 1 type hood scoop with turn-signals (same color as car and it does not have any emblem on it like the 351 or 428 had.)

Dual racing mirrors (They are the same color as the car and the driver’s mirror is remote controlled.)

Chrome styled steel wheels with non-GT caps (look to be 14X6 in size)

Electric clock (Rectangle in shape and mounted in the passenger side dash area where the round Mach 1 clock would be.)

Front seat headrests (The report from Ford states the car should have headrests, but it does not. It does not have any sign of ever having them. (no cuts or signs on the top of the seats) Could the seats be left over from 1968? Just a thought.

Dual exhaust system (It still has “Ford” mufflers and all. It resembles the Boss 302/429 design as it has the transverse muffler and has turn downs just before and below the rear valance. The rear valance does not have the cut-out for the exhaust tip to protrude under.

Could these possibly be dealer installed? I cannot think of any other reason. Your help is greatly appreciated.

69grandecj
01-25-2007, 11:13 AM
What size engine does it have? From the factory only the 4V engines had dual exhaust. A non GT coupe with dual exhaust would not have chrome tips. The exhaust would turn down before the rear valance.

The hood scoop and mirrors were part of a sport package or value package. Does it list it on your Marti Report.

All of the '69s I've seen have had headrests but it does list headrests as an option in the Mustang Facts book. Yet it does not show headrests on an option on my SportsRoof and it has them. Maybe if your was an early build '69 it came without the headrests and Ford soon after made it a standard item.

The rectangular clock was an option and used on standard interior vehicles. It is a seldom seen option.

Dads69
01-25-2007, 11:23 AM
wOW...Thanks for the info. The car is equipped with the F Code 302-2V engine and C-4 trans. I took another look under the car yesterday and I am nearly convienced the dual exhaust was possible a dealer-installed item. The hangars, mufflers, ect are all corect type and have fomoco logos. My father and I had a conversasion about the car a few years back and he told me he had never changed anything on the car and that it is exactly the way he purchased it in 1968. This is a mess. The Marti report I have does not mention the wheels, mirrors, dual-exhaust, or clock. It does state the car should have headrest but it doesn't. I am confused. I appreciate any further help.

Tony P. (Dad's69)

Max Power
01-25-2007, 12:25 PM
Maybe Ford can get you a copy of the dealer invoice?

Also, quite often there is a build sheet under the back seat. Pull the rear seat up and see if you have one.

Sounds like a cool car. Post pics.

Pakrat
01-25-2007, 12:28 PM
Can you take digital pictures to show us the car and the details?

Every standard seat in 69' should have the headrest on them, only 68' and older would come without to the best of my knowledge, I have certainly never seen one without anyway.

Was your Marti report a deluxe one? Usually the have all the build details. Have you decoded the door tag? You could also try a free 999 report directly from Ford: http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=1019

If the car was only stored 16 years after new I find it hard to believe that the exhaust is original along with any other general maintanence and wear and tear items. You can never say never when it comes to things the dealers would do to sell a car but it's hard to imagine them tearing out a new facotry exhaust and putting in a dual system on a 2 barrel car.

Their are definitely a few things that don't jive with the car, pictures would really help us out in helping you solve the mysteries.

BTW, even if all it needed to start was a new battery, it is not a good idea to just run a car that has been stored for over 20 years. It is bone dry everywhere, you should at least drain the old oil, put in new oil, hand cranck it to get it moved around, clean out and probaly replace dry rotted and varnish contaminated fuel lines, etc...etc... if you want the car to last that is in it's original state and not be rebuilding the motor and carb in just a few short months.

70Coupe
01-25-2007, 12:29 PM
not to hijack a thread, but where are some other locations for build sheets. i checked the back seat, the non factory fronts, pulled the carpet, insulation, and i have no build sheet. sadly im thinkin mine is lost to the world. damn, still need to get a marti report, what have you guys picked for a marti report, standard, deluxe, elite?? im thinkin deluxe. but anyways......

JC69Stang
01-25-2007, 12:39 PM
sometimes tucked up under the dash.

I am still waiting on my 999 report from Ford, I have submitted it twice now...

69grandecj
01-25-2007, 01:06 PM
not to hijack a thread, but where are some other locations for build sheets. i checked the back seat, the non factory fronts, pulled the carpet, insulation, and i have no build sheet. sadly im thinkin mine is lost to the world. damn, still need to get a marti report, what have you guys picked for a marti report, standard, deluxe, elite?? im thinkin deluxe. but anyways......

I found one in my Grande underneath the carpet on the passenger side foot area. It was trash because of a cowl leak.

I have only ordered the deluxe report. The elite report is pricy and takes a loooong time to get. I also had Kevin do a statistical report (which gives you 1 of 1 info) but I'm not sure if it offers that anymore without doing the elite.

369coupes
01-25-2007, 01:18 PM
dads69, your car sounds alot like my coupe except mine doesnt have the clock and i dont know what exhaust mine came with all it had was headers and a H pipe on it when i bought it

369coupes
01-25-2007, 01:22 PM
maybe since the car is a early in the model year it some how got left over 68 seats installed in it?

Dads69
01-25-2007, 02:32 PM
Can you take digital pictures to show us the car and the details?

Every standard seat in 69' should have the headrest on them, only 68' and older would come without to the best of my knowledge, I have certainly never seen one without anyway.

Was your Marti report a deluxe one? Usually the have all the build details. Have you decoded the door tag? You could also try a free 999 report directly from Ford: http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=1019

If the car was only stored 16 years after new I find it hard to believe that the exhaust is original along with any other general maintanence and wear and tear items. You can never say never when it comes to things the dealers would do to sell a car but it's hard to imagine them tearing out a new facotry exhaust and putting in a dual system on a 2 barrel car.

Their are definitely a few things that don't jive with the car, pictures would really help us out in helping you solve the mysteries.

BTW, even if all it needed to start was a new battery, it is not a good idea to just run a car that has been stored for over 20 years. It is bone dry everywhere, you should at least drain the old oil, put in new oil, hand cranck it to get it moved around, clean out and probaly replace dry rotted and varnish contaminated fuel lines, etc...etc... if you want the car to last that is in it's original state and not be rebuilding the motor and carb in just a few short months.

I will try to get a few pictures of what we have all been talking about. I see and understand your point regarding cranking up an engine that's been sitting for a while. As an aviation mechanic I asure your suggestions were only a few that were taken to preserve the engine at the time it was started. I pre-lubed the engine with a presurrized system as well as changed the fluids, ect... ect...

I already have pictures of some of the things, but they are on my harddrive at home. I'll get back to you all on the pics. Thanks for all your help.

Dads69
01-25-2007, 02:38 PM
dads69, your car sounds alot like my coupe except mine doesnt have the clock and i dont know what exhaust mine came with all it had was headers and a H pipe on it when i bought it

Does your coupe have headrest or the MACH 1 scoop? This just gets deaper and deaper. It is so difficult to find the answer. All I want is the car to be restored correctly. I really don't know why I am worry so much as my dad is still living and to this day swears up and down the car has never been changed. Why should I not believe him? I guess since I haven't seen another coupe equipped like mine it just raises my curiosity. Is the car correct and possbly something rare??? who knows. Thanks. All the information and suggestions is great. I appreciate everyone's support.

Tony P.

Dads69
01-25-2007, 02:47 PM
Just in case anyone is wondering about the other details of the car... here they are:

VIN - 9T01F108471

MODEL YEAR CODE – (9) 1969
ASSEMBLY PLANT CODE – (T) Metuchen , NJ
BODY SERIAL CODE – (01) 2-door hardtop, standard
ENGINE CODE – (F) 302-2V
UNIT CONSECUTIVE ORDER NUMBER – 108471

BODY – (65A) 2-door hardtop, standard
COLOR – (M) Wimbledon white
TRIM – (2B) Blue vinyl, standard buckets
DATE – (23J) September 23, 1968
DSO – (22) Charlotte, NC (regular production)
AXLE – (3) 2.79:1, conventional non-locking
TRANS – (W) SlectShift Cruise-O-matic 3-speed transmission (C4)

Factory Options:
Rocker panel moldings
Radio, AM (Push-button)
Air Conditioner – SelectAire
302-2V V8 engine
Power steering
SlectShift Cruise-O-matic 3-speed transmission (C4)

Unknown parts or possible "Dealer Installed Accessories":
Wheels, 14X6 chrome styled steel (non-GT caps)
Clock, electric (Rectangle style)
Dual racing mirrors, color-keyed w/ driver side remote
Mach 1 hood scoop with turn signals (Color keyed without emblem)

Thanks again for all the great replies!

Tony P.

369coupes
01-25-2007, 06:37 PM
my white coupe is a 302 2bbl it has the mach one scoop and the sport mirriors and headrest it is not a delux interrior car and its not a grande

there is am original owner 69 coupe inmy area that is just a run of the mill coupe without the sport mirriors that has the mach one scoop on it as well

bnickel
01-25-2007, 07:49 PM
the scoop and the mirrors could even be had on 6 cylinder cars, it was a ford option like sport appearance group or something like that. if you get the Marti report it will tell you if your car had this option which at this point i'm thinking it is. september 23rd isn't an extremely early build and my car was built on november 8th which is less than 2 months after your car was built and it has headrests, well it came with them anyway, i've changed the seats to the highback style seats. there was also an option for the high back seats but i think it could only be ordered in the deluxe version however i don't know if it was possible to order the deluxe highback seats with the standard interior and not upgrading to the deluxe interior as well. the clock could be ordered at any time, my car also had the rectangular clock with the standard interior, i think, as i have found the correct wiring for the clock but someone had installed a graphic equalizer in that spot before i bought the car so i'll have to order the marti report to confirm my car did actually have it.

definitely posting some pics would help so as soon as you can do that we'll be better able to help you out.

d.reese
01-25-2007, 08:11 PM
I found my 69 convertable build sheet under the carpet/sound deadner left side rear floor board, it is in great shape ,Like others I've been told of under dash!

d.reese
01-25-2007, 08:17 PM
Hey,try looking at the FRONT-passenger side of your radiator core support and locate your metal ID tag it will referance your interior code along with your vin. Mine is a 76B Equals Deluxe. Hopes this helps.

Pakrat
01-26-2007, 10:26 AM
I definitely don't think you have any reason not to believe your dad and am not suggesting such a thing at all. Memmory can be selective though sometimes and there are just some things on the car like the lack of headrests and such that are a mystery. If the car does have some rare unheard of options thatn you will want to retain them in the restoration for sure so we are all as eager as you to learn the the truth behind them and help unravel the mystery any way we can.

BTW, glad to hear you did the proper pre-engine treatments first, it didn't sound that way inititlaly and I would hate to see you damage what could be a nice family heirloom. Sounds like it is in good hands!!!

Dads69
01-26-2007, 11:18 AM
Yeah, the more I research this car the more inteesting it gets. I can't seem to put it down and spend almost all my free time trying to find the answers. I really appreciate everyone's help and suggestions. I will try and post pictures next week when I am home and then we can see if we can dig up some more info. Thanks again!!!!!!

Tony P.

MDinDestin
01-27-2007, 08:52 AM
Yeah, the more I research this car the more inteesting it gets. I can't seem to put it down and spend almost all my free time trying to find the answers. I really appreciate everyone's help and suggestions. I will try and post pictures next week when I am home and then we can see if we can dig up some more info. Thanks again!!!!!!

Tony P.

I began taking lots of home videos in 1984. My wife and I both comment all the time how we don't remember anything about doing certain events in the videos.

It's easy to believe that your dad doesn't remember changing the seats or the exhaust since it's so common to have to do these items and the dealer probably did the exhaust for him when he took it in for service.

The clock, hood scoop, and mirrors are another matter. He wouldn't forget obtaining the parts in a junk yard, including the wiring, and drilling holes in the hood for the scoop. Installing the side mirrors is a little tricky as well and something he wouldn't forget. If he let the dealer do it with new parts, he wouldn't forget the large invoice.

indianfiremach
01-27-2007, 07:55 PM
It is very unusual, but I have seen 69 seats without headrests. At first I thought they were 68 seats in a 69, but the upolstery was correct and original.

Truck
02-02-2007, 08:14 PM
Mine is also a '9T01F' car, and it has the scoop, mirrors, and headrests (No Clock). I have yet to find a mention of it, but it may be that all the "Sports Decor Group" cars came out of the same plant. (Metuchen is also where Shelby was nested in those days, so we can dream about what's really in those F-codes....)

One thing you can check on for 'the originality' of the scoop is to look at the engine side of the hood. Mine has the 'shaker cut-out' imprinted on the underside of the hood, although only the wiring harnesses have holes in the top skin. I've seen net-rumours that only the GT got the shaker cut-out hood, and up until recently they were thought to be fake. (It's 'found' later that any GT with a hood scoop got this little reminder that it's easy to put a shaker in, I guess.)

I'm not an expert on interior, so I'll skip anything about the headrests other than what I've already said. It's interesting that your mirrors are color-keyed to the car. Mine has black mirrors, and the scoop is keyed original color.

Truck
05-28-2007, 09:55 PM
I need closure on this anecdote.