1969 Mustang Supersite Web Forums 1969 Mustang Supersite Web Forums

Go Back   1969 Mustang Supersite Web Forums > Technical, General Discussion, and Project Progress > 1969-70 Technical Forum

Old 04-24-2006, 03:39 PM   #1
Cam3512
Mustang Owner

Cam3512 is on a distinguished road
Default Rear Seat/Trunk divider

Just want to get your opinion on the necessity of the aftermarket steel trunk divider. I'm told it may prevent any gas from getting into the passenger compartment in the event of a rear end crash. You guys have one in your cars? They come with screws for installation behind the rear seat.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:54 PM   #2
Pakrat
Administrator

Location: Currently: NH Originally: Rhode Island (and all points in between.)
Pakrat has much to be proud ofPakrat has much to be proud ofPakrat has much to be proud ofPakrat has much to be proud ofPakrat has much to be proud ofPakrat has much to be proud ofPakrat has much to be proud ofPakrat has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Pakrat

Well, my opinion is that alot of that was preying on the hype of the original 60 minutes article (I think it was them) sighting very few actual cases out of the millions of Mustangs/Pinto's etc. that were made like this for many years, but I also remeber it actually happening to a member on Stangnet like 4 years ago who got rear ended and SEVERELY burnt head to toe. I got hit on the right rear quarter a year and a half ago enough to spin me 180* and total the car yet I had no rupture or issues like this, in fact I was able to straighten the flange and reuse my tank in the rebuild.

I guess you can never be too safe and since my original cardboard piece was ruined and needs replacing anyway I have been thinking about it but I feel if you go this length you should really have it sealed and welded in not just held with the included screws.

Pakrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:33 AM   #3
Cam3512
Mustang Owner

Cam3512 is on a distinguished road

I do drive my little girl around alot in the car, so mayby the $50.00 at NPD is worth it. Comes with the self tapping screws and sealant. I assume the sealant is for around the edges?
Old 09-08-2006, 06:11 PM   #4
PennStateStang
Mustang Owner

PennStateStang is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to PennStateStang
Default Using a steel trunk divider

I just bought a steel divider from PaddockParts.com for about $100 shipped. I will be putting it in this weekend so I will take pictures and let you all know how well it goes. I agree that it should be welded but unfortunately I can't weld or know anyone who does so its the screws for me. I'll post back when I finish.
PennStateStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 07:11 PM   #5
R4K
Groupie

R4K is on a distinguished road

I'll be putting one in soon. Not only could it protect from the potential gas-splash much better than the cardboard (or no) divider, it should help with road noise as well (and even moreso if you put sound dampener on it when you're sound-dampening your trunk).

I'm a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.
R4K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 01:04 AM   #6
dawtips
Mustang Owner

dawtips is on a distinguished road

I have www.tankarmor.com

It does the same thing, but also protects the trunk floor from whatever you throw in there..
dawtips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 02:10 AM   #7
ForceFed70
Git in muh belly

ForceFed70 is on a distinguished road

I agree with Pakrat.. mostly hype. Not only mustangs, but most cars of the era had the same design. As for the stangnet member who got burnt badly.. His name was something like Redlx2.3 and he was driving a fox body that got rearended by a dump truck. (if that's the same one).

Also.. it's the package tray you should be focusing on... the gas would need to somehow get past the back seat... much easier to go up through the cardboard package tray.
ForceFed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:59 PM   #8
iranmeba
Mustang Owner

iranmeba is on a distinguished road

do you guys know anything about those new fuel safe tanks that are rubber tanks housed in aluminum or other metals sometimes. supposedly they are insulated with foam so that if the car is severely rear ended the tank will give and all the fuel will be absorbed by the foam. I don't have a mustang but want one badly, i have to prove to my parents that it can be made safe enough and that it won't be braking down on me all of the time. anyway just wondering if you guys know anything about the tank/if u know where to get one cheap (the ones i saw were all around like $1300-$2000)
iranmeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 01:03 AM   #9
mustangman70
Mustang Owner

mustangman70 is on a distinguished road

i was about to say....

Fuel safe cell...no problem :D

lol i plan on running one very soon when the 70 is back on the road

mustangman70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 01:09 AM   #10
369coupes
v8 powered poster

369coupes is on a distinguished road

ford made cars were the only ones in the muscle era that used the tank as part of the trunkfloor hype or not im deffinatly gonna seal up mine not only behind the rear seat but im thinking of putting a sheet of metal over and around the tank mounted with the bolts that hold the tank IF you plan on dragracing at all you had better have metal behind the seat at the very least
gfs69coupe
life is too short for drama, unless your watching it on tv
369coupes is offline   Reply With Quote