1969 Mustang Supersite Web Forums 1969 Mustang Supersite Web Forums

Go Back   1969 Mustang Supersite Web Forums > Technical, General Discussion, and Project Progress > 1969-70 Technical Forum

Old 06-26-2005, 11:58 PM   #1
stangboy690
Mustang Owner

stangboy690
Send a message via AIM to stangboy690
Default Side Scoop

I have a 1969 mustang coupe and i hate the ugly plastic fake side scoops that are on it, does anybody know of a place that sells better looking side scoops for the 69 coupe, some that make it look more like a mach or a boss...

Thanks
stangboy690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 02:57 AM   #2
70vert
Frankenstang Convertible

70vert is on a distinguished road
Default like this?

(we talk about Steve Kleva behind his back so much, lol)

Personally, I think the lower side scoop would look better like a shelby convertible or a GT/CS. It actually looks like you're cooling the brakes whether you open it up and duct it or not. A higher scoop would look kind of strange, like you were trying to cool the trunk or something. but form doesn't always have to follow function . . .
70vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 11:15 AM   #3
bswor
Administrator

bswor has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to bswor

70vert do you have any more photos of different angles of that same car? That looks really great i may change mine. What are those off of? 8)
bswor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 11:48 AM   #4
Pakrat
Administrator

Location: Currently: NH Originally: Rhode Island (and all points in between.)
Pakrat has much to be proud ofPakrat has much to be proud ofPakrat has much to be proud ofPakrat has much to be proud ofPakrat has much to be proud ofPakrat has much to be proud ofPakrat has much to be proud ofPakrat has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Pakrat

Well, I was going to pose a scoop question myself today so I might as well just tag onto this one I guess, lol.

I just got my Tony Branda Shelby side scoops in today and I have a question for anyone who has installed a set already. How did you attach the screens? I have to say I am pretty upset that I spent $13 bucks on these screens by the way. They are nothing more than ribbed aluminum stock that you can buy at any home center to cover your gutters with, they just cut it very poorly to barely a rough size and shape and then paint it black, sheesh. They had sent me one cut vertically and one cut horizontally to boot. I called to complain and they are just sending me another vertical one which is nice of them but when I said it does not fit he told me it has to be trimmed to fit, double sheeesh!!!!! They of course are about the only vendor that even offers a screen so what are ya gonna do but this can't be how it was in 69' can it? I totally would of made my own if I had known.

BTW, I had wondered years ago myself what the verts and coupes would like with the same scoop as a Mach so I had done a photo chop of it for anyone that was also curious. I am told it is impossible, but you could always but a Shelby fastback style on there pretty easy I guess and just fill the cavity from the stock one after removing it.. :roll:

Pakrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 12:00 PM   #5
bnickel

bnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond repute

yeah pak i had to trim mine to fot as well. did your scoops have the holes cut out already? the ones i got from NPD didn't hav them cut and it was a royal pain to do it. i estimate i have about 10 hours in mine just cutting grinding and filing the opening in the scoops, the i had to cut and shape the grillepieces as well. at least the grille pieces were reatively easy to fit compared to the scoops. overall i achieved the look i was after so it was worth it in the end, though.

ERIC HATES ME BECAUSE MY CAR IS A GT AND HIS ISN'T !!!! LOL
bnickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 12:08 PM   #6
bnickel

bnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond repute

oh yeah, i ended up using some epoxy to attach the screens. first i cut some small strips of balsa wood 1/4" square stock and epoxied those in place behind the screens and adjusted them so i would have a tight fit to the screens and then i epoxied the screens in place. basically the balsa stock acts as a support to keep the screens from pushing through. i was originally going to try screwing the screens to the scoop but i didn't have a lot of material left after cutting the holes out. that's one i reason i suggested getting the scoops from maier or branda. since they appear to have the holes cut already

Old 06-27-2005, 01:41 PM   #7
70vert
Frankenstang Convertible

70vert is on a distinguished road
Default go to maierracing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswor
70vert do you have any more photos of different angles of that same car? That looks really great i may change mine. What are those off of? 8)
go to maierracing.com and go to "customer rides" and "street". It's the Steve Kleva one. I think he is going too Eleanor on it, what with the cowl hood and the grey with black stripes paint scheme, for my tastes but I think the side scoops look great and the trunk lid looks perfect from everywhere but the back.

bnickel, you got your side scoops from NPD, right? They look like they stand out from the body more than the Maiers and the ridge is more pronounced, what do you think? Is it just the angle on the two photos, or are they different? I'm getting your photo from the gallery.
70vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 01:48 PM   #8
bnickel

i think it's just the angle of the pic. if anyone wants my opinion don't get the scoops from NPD, too much work to make like they are supposed to be and they're more expensive too, but at the time they were my only option since i couldn't find anyone else that had them in stock and i had to order some other parts from them anyway.

Old 06-27-2005, 05:55 PM   #9
Pakrat
Administrator

Location: Currently: NH Originally: Rhode Island (and all points in between.)
Pakrat has much to be proud ofPakrat has much to be proud ofPakrat has much to be proud ofPakrat has much to be proud ofPakrat has much to be proud ofPakrat has much to be proud ofPakrat has much to be proud ofPakrat has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Pakrat

Well I will say this, the ones I got from Branda seem even lower profile than I had expected, they would appear the they will hardly protrude from the body at all. Yes the whole's were cut out already and quite nicely I might add, I have some minor and very anal sanding to do to make the perfectly symetrical.They were the cheapest ones also, go figure.

SO B, did you get the creens from NOD also? Same crap as mine? I figured I would tape the inside of it and mark the opening as a template fo finished size then trim around that shape about an extra 1/4 inch or so leaving 2 or 3 tabs tot he outside for extra hold. I was hoping to be able to just run a bead of silicone around the border, put them in place and then smooth out what oozes thru the holes.

I am having a hard time following the balsa wood part, is the wood bewteen the scoop and screen to hold it back from the opening or is the screen between the wood and the opening? When attached to the car can you see the dead and unfinshed space inside the scoop or is it too dark?

One thing I was disapointed in though, you would think that they would make the bolts line up with the exisitng holes, how hard could that be?

Pakrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 06:12 PM   #10
bnickel

Pak i have the screens between the wood and the scoop opening, basically they are only there for my piece of mind to make sure the screens don't just pop all the way into the scoop. my screens actually came from mustangs unlimited but they were only 8 bucks i think but yeah they are the same as yours, trim to fit. i'm not real sure exactly how far stick out from the body, 2 maybe 2-1/2 inches or so i guess.

i thought the same thing about making them line up with the existing holes, but the original shelby pieces are the same way IIRC.

you can't really see the paint through the screens on my car but i paint the inside of the scoop black and the acapulco blue is dark enough to not really be noticeable.