1969 Mustang Supersite Web Forums 1969 Mustang Supersite Web Forums

Go Back   1969 Mustang Supersite Web Forums > Technical, General Discussion, and Project Progress > Project Progress Forum

Old 07-18-2008, 11:34 PM   #1
stangme428
Mustang Owner

stangme428 is on a distinguished road
Talking 69 coupe build

ok,

so it begins, on 69stang.com anyway...
my project has started and stopped several times over the last 8 years. From a simple pro-motorsports shock tower reinforcement kit install, before they start cracking ..to lets install all the pro-motorsports equipment I can on the car and, while the motor is out, lets do a motor rebuild. Over eight years later and a failed attempt at a roller 5.0 twin turbo install and numerous project changes as well as job changes.... and we end up today. It seems sometimes a mustang must pass so other mustangs can be rejuvinated. Which means, I totaled my 96 Cobra hitting someone that ran a stop sign and will be taking the funds from the Cobra and building the 69 coupe.

I am posting a few before pics here to hopefully get input from others and share current modifications as well as future mods.

Stats:
69 champagne gold coupe - electric blue by previous owner
351W 2bbl - building 408 clevor stroker with AFD 2V alloy heads
PDB - rebuilt with mustangs plus parts
PS - rebuilt slave myself with kit from NPD
FMX - removed and replaced with AOD
9" 3:00 open - replaced with 69 date code 31 spline posi with 31 spline moser axles, daytona pinion support, 3:77 gear
standard interior- installed centre console from 69 cougar XR7, shelby lid, gauge pod
stock steering wheel- replaced with rimblow from cougar to be rebuilt

Mods:
promotorsports:bumpsteer kit, negative wedge kit,520 progressive coils, shock tower reinforcement kit
shelby drop, boxed in mustangs plus magna upper/lower arms. KYB Gas Adjust shocks, mustangs plus:4 1/2 rear leafs reverse eye 180lb,
racing shackles, weld in sfc's, vintage 48's 16x8's, poly& graphite bushings everywhere but front leafs and strut rod bushings replaced with stock rubber.

yep, I live in the woods with no garage at the moment.

currently has a EFI 5.0 and AOD... not running. maier type bar/brace off of ebay.

Cant decide on a new colour as of yet... thinking of going with original champagne gold with vinyl top or calypso coral and vinyl top... either way with a Boss 302 C stripe and blacked out hood, headlight buckets and tail light panel.

a unclean interior shot...

more to come...
Baer 13" rear brakes, mustangs plus:4 1/2 reverse leafs 180lb, Fays2, Caltracs,
racing shackles, sfc's, GT 4 18x9. NT555/275/35ZR
moser engineering: posi 3.77, daytona pinion support, 31 spline axles,
www.stangworks.com
build thread

Last edited by stangme428; 03-06-2010 at 09:05 PM..
stangme428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 04:33 AM   #2
bnickel

bnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond repute

nice looking coupe, are you sure you don't want to keep it blue? i'm fairly partial to blue myself, in fact your car looks a lot like mine as it sits and my 69 cougar will also look pretty similar when it's done as well

ERIC HATES ME BECAUSE MY CAR IS A GT AND HIS ISN'T !!!! LOL
bnickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:08 AM   #3
stangme428
Mustang Owner

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnickel View Post
nice looking coupe, are you sure you don't want to keep it blue? i'm fairly partial to blue myself, in fact your car looks a lot like mine as it sits and my 69 cougar will also look pretty similar when it's done as well
Thanks bnickel.. WOW! you have a nice 69 coupe! you have basically done all that I have remaining to do. That blue does look good, and the way the GT stripe accents the body lines.... nice. as you could imagine I have a million questions. but, I'll search the forum for your build first.
www.stangworks.com
build thread

Last edited by stangme428; 07-19-2008 at 11:16 AM..
Old 07-19-2008, 11:15 AM   #4
R4K
Groupie

R4K is on a distinguished road

That's a nice looking coupe there, man. I'm not big of the vinyl roof in general, but on this color, I think it looks awesome. With a fresh coat of that blue and a new (or restored) landau top, that thing will be beautiful.

I'm a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.
R4K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:26 AM   #5
RacerX
v8 powered poster

RacerX is on a distinguished road

Nice project. Love the house!

Freedom Of Speed

69 hardtop under construction
351C 4V
http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/e...stang%20stuff/
RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:39 PM   #6
stangme428
Mustang Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nice project. Love the house!
Thanks RacerX / R4K /bnickel - she needs lots of love and attention. I knew when I bought the cobra in 2000 she would fall to the wayside for a while, but its time to get her back on the road!
I am trying to find a local REPUTABLE Transmission shop (south GA / north FL) to either build my AOD or purchase an AOD from. The 418 Clevor will likely have in the area of 500hp/500 ft lb, so I need a AOD tranny that will hold up. I researched the Viper T56 swap that several have done, but I couldnt justify the cost for that 6th gear. I have also looked at TCI, B&M but I would like to be able to talk in person with the AOD builder. Maybe a false since of security by doing so.. dunno. On that note, has anbody used the Transmission Depot off of ebay? Their Demon AOD is rated at 550hp.

We are going to start off with a carb setup and eventually move to a EFI setup. Once I get the motor trany and supension setup complete I will move to EFI. I have a complete megasquirt setup ready to go on when the time comes. But by then their may be a aftermarket cost effective kit out... we will see.

also, looking at changing the interior over to deluxe door panels. Has anybody thought of brushed aluminum inserts like on the 67's instead of the wood grain from the 69 deluxe?

racerx - thanks on the house.. southland log homes kit, we love it. just need to build a garage and somewhere to park the mustangs...
www.stangworks.com
build thread

Last edited by stangme428; 07-19-2008 at 12:51 PM..
Old 07-19-2008, 04:21 PM   #7
bnickel

bnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond reputebnickel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangme428 View Post
Thanks bnickel.. WOW! you have a nice 69 coupe! you have basically done all that I have remaining to do. That blue does look good, and the way the GT stripe accents the body lines.... nice. as you could imagine I have a million questions. but, I'll search the forum for your build first.

you'll find some stuff in the forum but mostly what you saw in my gallery is about all there is to see. i can answer any questions you have about it including how much i'll take for it since it is for sale at the moment. it was my first car and i can tell you everything that has been done or happened to it since late 1984......damn i'm old

ERIC HATES ME BECAUSE MY CAR IS A GT AND HIS ISN'T !!!! LOL
bnickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:56 PM   #8
stangme428
Mustang Owner

Default clevor parts are on the way!

OK,

My order from Aus Ford Parts are on the way. Lawrence at Aus Ford Parts put me together a 408 forged rotating assembly with H beam rods and forged pistons to fit the AFD 2V 64cc heads. I ordered the completed heads. tranny selection as well as cam selection are next. I am stuck between building a early AOD or going the T56 route. The AOD route is cheaper but a viper spec T56 may live longer.
www.stangworks.com
build thread
Old 08-31-2008, 07:44 PM   #9
stangme428
Mustang Owner

Default Paint help

ok, I need some help finding a shop within 1-2 hours away that is reputable. I'm in south ga about 40 minutes west from the coast. I'm looking into Don Berry's classics in Jacksonville, FL .. but I cant seem to schedule a meeting/time to drop by and I found a bad story on cardomain.com. SO, Im back to square one looking for a shop to paint and a little body work.

I also posted in the photochop section for some help with changing the color on my car to calypso coral with the boss 302 treatment...
www.stangworks.com
build thread
Old 09-01-2008, 06:52 AM   #10
stangme428
Mustang Owner

Ok, I have a lead on a shop in Gainesville, FL ... I'll try to contact them this week. L&R restorations, Gainsville Florida. Anybody used them?
www.stangworks.com
build thread