1969 Mustang Supersite Web Forums 1969 Mustang Supersite Web Forums

Go Back   1969 Mustang Supersite Web Forums > Technical, General Discussion, and Project Progress > 1969-70 Technical Forum

Old 10-19-2008, 09:59 PM   #1
foothilltom
Resto-Mod Squad

foothilltom is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to foothilltom
Default Coupe door glass weatherstrip channel - where to buy?

Howdy gents, hoping you can sort me out on two things:

My project car is missing the driver's side stainless "channel" that should hold the weatherstrip between the rear of the front glass and the front of the 1/4 glass. I'm looking all over the place (VA Mustang, CJ Pony, etc.) and I cannot find a single thing that fits the bill. Anybody know where to get one of those?

And finally, is there a piece of weatherstrip that actually attaches to the 1/4 glass or is the strip that attaches to the front glass (per above) all there is between these two pieces?

There's so many references to 1/4 glass weatherstripping, I feel like I'm missing something.

This is for a coupe. Thanks mucho for any advice on where to get this item.

Tom
foothilltom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:26 AM   #2
Pakrat
Administrator

Location: Currently: NH Originally: Rhode Island (and all points in between.)
Pakrat has much to be proud ofPakrat has much to be proud ofPakrat has much to be proud ofPakrat has much to be proud ofPakrat has much to be proud ofPakrat has much to be proud ofPakrat has much to be proud ofPakrat has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Pakrat

You can stop looking, the stainless trim is not available for a coupe, just the rubber strip. It only started to be reproduced for the fastback just a few years ago. You will have to get one from yet another donor car and it will have to be a 69' as in 70' it mounts to the quarter glass instead in reverse. I always wondered jsut how different the fastbakc one could be and if it could be modified but I haven't been curious enough to buy one just for the heck of it.

And yes, the strip of rubber atahed to the rear of the front window is the only piece of weatherstrip between it and the front of the rear glass.

Pakrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
foothilltom
Resto-Mod Squad

foothilltom is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to foothilltom

Hey Pak, thanks for the excellent response. Just like you said: everyone sells the rubber (and I actually bought it already thinking it would come with the strip), but not the stainless piece.

The good news is I have a donor car with the stainless trim intact on both sides. So before I go out with a chisel and ruin something, can you offer any advice on how easily the trim piece comes off the front glass?

It appears like I could just gently tap on it and knock it toward the rear of the car and remove it, but then again, I can't see what's going on at the bottom of the glass too well even with the window fully rolled up. I'm guessing it's not GLUED onto the glass?

In short, I don't want to break a window or ruin the stainless piece that I can steal from the donor car.

I think I understand that LUBE is essential for re-installing the new rubber onto the trim as discussed in other threads here.

Thanks in advance for any follow-up advice.
Tom
foothilltom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:12 PM   #4
Pakrat
Administrator

Location: Currently: NH Originally: Rhode Island (and all points in between.)
Pakrat has much to be proud ofPakrat has much to be proud ofPakrat has much to be proud ofPakrat has much to be proud ofPakrat has much to be proud ofPakrat has much to be proud ofPakrat has much to be proud ofPakrat has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Pakrat

The trim is supposed to be a net fit onto the glass and just pressed on yes, you should actually be able to pull it right off with your fingers, that doesn't mean some previous knucklehead didn't add super glue or some stupid thing though so be careful. You will likely have to pick and chisel all the old rubber out, heating it helps too. I suggest liquid soap to lube the new one in place, you don't want to use anything petroleum based like say WD-40 that can eat the rubber away. The soap will wash away easily after though.

Pakrat is offline   Reply With Quote