1969 Mustang Supersite Web Forums 1969 Mustang Supersite Web Forums

Go Back   1969 Mustang Supersite Web Forums > Technical, General Discussion, and Project Progress > 1969-70 Technical Forum

Old 02-09-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
Reverb

Reverb is on a distinguished road
Default frame rail/shock tower dimensions

Hi all, I'm trying to jig up the front frame rail off the car with radiator support and floor supports welded in before I weld it to the car. I can find dimensions for all the above, but can find any for the location of the shock towers. I know I can mount them on the car using a shock tower support, but I'd like to be a bit more accurate.
Anyone have a pic with the dimensions of shock tower from radiator support, or shock tower from floor support or any dimension that I can use off the car?

Thanks
Reverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:45 PM   #2
mustangdan69
Mustang Owner

mustangdan69 is on a distinguished road
Default shock towers

Hi the dimensions from radiator support is 16 1/2 in. i hope this helps you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 022.jpg (530.6 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg 031.jpg (476.8 KB, 158 views)
mustangdan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:59 AM   #3
Reverb

Thanks dude. Helps alot.

You think i should construct the front inner fender off the car while I'm jigging up the frame rails too?
Old 02-11-2009, 09:05 AM   #4
mustangdan69
Mustang Owner

mustangdan69 is on a distinguished road
Default inner fender

Hi weld your frame in then do the inner fender so you can set your fender on to jig it up with. that just the way i would i had a hole that did not line up on mine. so i would jig it with the fender.
mustangdan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:04 AM   #5
Fordrevhead
RebuildN,RaceN & RockN

Fordrevhead is on a distinguished road

there's some important diagonals for the front clip.

30.72" (plus or minus .06) from the idler arm bracket hole on the inside of the passenger side frame rail to the front UCA hole on the drivers side.

Then 29.85" (plus or minus .06) from the front steering gear mounting hole on the inside of the drivers side frame rail to the front UCA hole on the passenger side.

Oh and 26.42" between the sway bar front bushing mounting bolt centers.

These are right out of a Ford Body Assembly book.
Fordrevhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:35 PM   #6
Reverb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordrevhead View Post
there's some important diagonals for the front clip.

30.72" (plus or minus .06) from the idler arm bracket hole on the inside of the passenger side frame rail to the front UCA hole on the drivers side.

Then 29.85" (plus or minus .06) from the front steering gear mounting hole on the inside of the drivers side frame rail to the front UCA hole on the passenger side.

Oh and 26.42" between the sway bar front bushing mounting bolt centers.

These are right out of a Ford Body Assembly book.

Thanks for those dude. That should set me up correctly to square up the front frame rails and shock towers which in turn should get me the front inner fenders and radiator support.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #7
cobra289v8

cobra289v8 is on a distinguished road
Default 69 R code mach 1 twisted shock towers

Hi from Dan in Canada, 1st time, hope I do this right, I am just replacing most of the front end on the 69 R code mach 1, I think the front end is a little twisted, it was hit hard in front years ago, do you know of a web site that gives dimensions and measurements, I have the engine out and fenders off, if anyone could measure from shock to shock inside measurement, mine is 31 1/4, or inside shock cap bolts side to side, mine is 29 1/4, if you can't because of the shaker no problems, if you run a tape measure down the drivers side fender inside on top of firewall, does the panels look like a straight line, this car has quite a curve, like 1 inch or more, I tried to bolt a shelby export brace on it before I replace a few panels but its about 1 inch short of bolting togeather, looks like the towers are leaning in, looking down at the towers where the motor mounts bolt, it looks like the drivers side is bent to the front, the definatelly don't look like they are facing each other or match, any help would be great, thanks
cobra289v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:44 PM   #8
Mustang Owner

1952 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
Hi all, I'm trying to jig up the front frame rail off the car with radiator support and floor supports welded in before I weld it to the car. I can find dimensions for all the above, but can find any for the location of the shock towers. I know I can mount them on the car using a shock tower support, but I'd like to be a bit more accurate.
Anyone have a pic with the dimensions of shock tower from radiator support, or shock tower from floor support or any dimension that I can use off the car?

Thanks

This may be of some help to members of this group

lonnie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 69-70framealign.jpg (150.7 KB, 247 views)
1952 is offline   Reply With Quote