1969 Mustang Supersite Web Forums 1969 Mustang Supersite Web Forums

Go Back   1969 Mustang Supersite Web Forums > Technical, General Discussion, and Project Progress > 1969-70 Technical Forum

Old 06-19-2009, 04:00 PM   #1
DeLoreanDMC81
Mustang Owner

DeLoreanDMC81 is on a distinguished road
Default 351W Distributor Question

Hey everyone I just had a quick question for you. To start off, I have a bare bones '69 Mach 1 with the 351W and a 4-speed manual. The car has no AC, no power steering, no power brakes...so it's about as plain jane of a Mustang you can get. I am in the process of getting the car going after a complete rebuild of the engine and I want to make sure I have the correct distributor for the car.

I went out to Auto Zone last night and picked up one of their rebuilt distributors. To my surprise it is an original Autolite from 1970....to bad it wasn't from a '69, darned the luck! So i want to make sure that it will work for my car.

Here are the markings around the top dish: DOAF 12127 AC. Then the next set of numbers below those are 0013 (I'm not sure if the middle two are correct cause they are very difficult to make out) There are a few more markings on the shaft itself: DOAF 12131-A S 3. Oh and the gear has 15 teeth on it. I was told that it was the correct distributor for my car but there are no stickers or anything on the box, so basically I am taking the store on what they sold me.

If anyone has any information for me I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

James

DeLoreanDMC81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:14 PM   #2
ForceFed70
Git in muh belly

ForceFed70 is on a distinguished road

Can't tell you much other than it sure looks like the correct dist.

The clips for holding the cap on are missing. Hopefully you have those somewhere or you can transfer from your old dist.

On a side note... you may want to take this oppertunity to swap to a duraspark distributor from an early 80's 351W. It's a direct swap and you get electronic ignition instead of points. Probably just as cheap or cheaper from Autozone.

Most people won't care that it's not original unless it's for some sort of a rare engine.
T5, Limited slip, 3.73's.
ForceFed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:49 PM   #3
S code 69
v8 powered poster

S code 69 is on a distinguished road

Since it's been rebuilt it's anyones guess as to what's inside it. if the book says it's right and it fits that about all you can do short of taking it to a shop with a distributor machine and getting it curved.
S code 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:56 PM   #4
DeLoreanDMC81
Mustang Owner

DeLoreanDMC81 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceFed70 View Post
The clips for holding the cap on are missing. Hopefully you have those somewhere or you can transfer from your old dist.

On a side note... you may want to take this oppertunity to swap to a duraspark distributor from an early 80's 351W. It's a direct swap and you get electronic ignition instead of points. Probably just as cheap or cheaper from Autozone.
Thanks for the heads up, I really would like to switch this over to an electric ignition and not have to worry about those stinkin points.

Also the clips were on there, I just took them off so I could touch up the distributor with some of that metallic paint so that it won't start corroding.

James

Last edited by DeLoreanDMC81; 06-19-2009 at 10:10 PM..
DeLoreanDMC81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:30 PM   #5
dennyb68
v8 powered poster

dennyb68 is on a distinguished road

IMO the Ford duraspark is the only way to go.
dennyb68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:09 AM   #6
69gmachine
v8 powered poster

69gmachine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyb68 View Post
IMO the Ford duraspark is the only way to go.
+1 for Duraspark.

My Duraspark held in there to support 537 HP on my 408. It has an automatic retard at start (but only if you tie the white wire to the red wire). They're available anywhere, and I've never seen one fail except when it was smashed in a wreck or melted in a fire. Can't ask for much more than that.

Make sure to use a full 12 volts if you switch over to any electronic ignition, and a good coil like the MSD blaster II.

I also had my dizzy rebuilt at Ignitioneering with a 1 piece, full length bronze bushing and the curve was set up for 16 deg initial (meaning they added a stop so it wouldn't go over 34 degrees total with the mechanical all in). IMO that makes it on par with any aftermarket billet housing. Just something to consider.
408 Windsor, port matched Torker II, 735 cfm 428CJ carb, Comp Cams Hyd Roller, AFR 205s, 1 3/4" Accufab headers, 10.1 to 1 SRPs, Centerforce Dual fr clutch, Tremec TKO, 31 spline 9" w/3.70 Trac Lock, 3" chrome moly drive shaft, Comp Eng slider traction bars, sliders on rear leafs and 2.5" Magnaflow stainless exhaust.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2387156
69gmachine is offline   Reply With Quote